Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Growing your Craft: Considerations?

I have started receiving many letters from innovators, writers, and educators related to their creations. They ask me to look the innovation over, reference the product on my blog, or share their story.

Similar to Google's AdSense program, I'm tempted to jump in and start this process, but in no way do I want to jeopardize the integrity of my blog's intent or effort.

Hence, as I move forward, I will begin to do the following:
  • First, time is precious.  It takes me hours to research, create, implement, assess, and revise apt learning endeavor for my students. In a sense the classroom is the learning lab for students, and for me, as their teacher.  That is my first priority at this time--I want to teach children well.
  • Next, I am interested in innovation, and I'm happy to be a part of this process particularly if the process will serve children and teachers better.  Therefore in the next week or so, I'll develop a response related to these innovators and writers. The response will include the following:
    • If the product looks good, I'll ask for a student sample (a colleague has started doing this) with the promise that I'll write about the product on my blog if I find it to be a useful and engaging tool related to student learning. If the product is really good, I'll trade the product for consultation with respect to student-friendly growth and use.
    • Also, if a post has merit related to student learning and education, I'll provide space for a guest post on my blog.
    • My colleague and/or I will be available to present and consult related to tech integration and STEAM share for a fee or in exchange for conference registration. 
    • If a post or product shows promise, but needs consultation before use, we'll offer that consultation for a fee since time is limited.  I'll use the fee to pay for a service to do work that I'd ordinarily have to do on my own so that I have time to consult.  I will work on this with a colleague with similar interests.
    • As long as my creations and ideas are inexpensive or free to reproduce, I will continue to share freely.  If I begin to create posters and products that require a production cost, I will charge a small fee for those. 
    • I plan to invite like-interested colleagues into this business plan, move slowly, and keep the intent of teaching children well at the center of the work.
As your research and work grows in education, what parameters have you created to keep integrity and mission forefront?  What decisions have you made about freely sharing your ideas and considering the ideas and innovation of others?  I'm interested?