Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Amazing Ed-Tech Collaboration

This morning I was invited by a tech entrepreneur to discuss an upcoming new tech tool. We met on Google hangouts and explored the tools together.

The young, bright, and energetic tech creator walked me through the tool's steps with care.  As I watched and questioned, I envisioned using this tool with students.  In fact, in a few weeks I'll have the change to create some wonderful lessons for my students using this tool. If positive, I'll share the outcome with my readers.

As I engaged in this process, I learned so much, and once again realized that the best learning happens when you jump right in and get your feet wet.

Specifically I learned the following:

  • Vocabulary: As we discussed the tool, he used a lot of tech terms I didn't know, but could easily figure out as he walked me through the tool's use.  I, likewise, transferred his language at times into teacher-talk and language.
  • Next we exchanged viewpoints. While he was thinking about the tool's reach to educators, I was thinking of the tool's use with regard to student learning.  Hence, a great exchange of perspectives.
  • Further I got to use Google hangouts again for a useful reason--the more we use new tools like Google hangouts, the more comfortable we'll be with those tools, and the better we'll be able to manipulate the tools.
In summary, my advice is to jump right in, and find the time and place to work outside of your comfort zone with learners and professionals from many walks of life.  Only then will you truly challenge yourself as a learner, and develop a stronger empathy and understanding of those you teach.