Monday, June 03, 2013

Dillon's Great Questions

Post Update 7/14
I noticed that someone read this post, and then I reread the questions and my responses. Dillon's questions remain outstanding and thought provoking, so I'll answer again with this year's lens. Note that the environment and my lens continue to evolve. 

Post update 11/2/13: Each year takes on a life of its own.  As I read the answers to Dillon's questions from 6/13, I know am prompted to add updates and revision about 5 months later. 




Dr. Robert Dillon posted "The Questions That Won't Go Away" on Connected Principals.  His questions prompt us to think about the year ahead with depth. I answered Dillon's questions briefly from my point of view as a classroom teacher.  I wonder how my colleagues and leaders would answer the same questions. 

What is going to be fundamentally different about your school next year?
This is a tough question for a teacher to answer alone, but I know that those in my school, including me, are implementing new technology and strategies to teach children well. We are having our scope and sequence meetings in the spring which will give all educators time over the summer to plan for, and study upcoming units. Also, our schools will embark on the planning for a potential restructure.  I hope the restructure choice will help us to continue to move our schools forward with structure, curriculum, and approach. 
Technology has been met by surprising push-back this year which has placed it lower on the agenda than expected. The restructure process is ongoing, and no decision has been made to date. 
Next year I'm going deeper and more focused with regard to students' learning to learn mindsets and actions, the teaching of math and science, and the area of inspiring all students. 

What huge risk for kids are you dreaming about implementing?
This is a challenging questions. For my own part, I want to increase our STEAM exploration and innovation times throughout the year.  As far as a "huge risk" I'd like to see our school tackle the issue of students who struggle with physical fitness issues. 
The huge risk ended in a huge dilemma.  We tried and we hit unexpected giant, thick walls, hence I'm taking a break from huge risks for the moment.  The school has not taken on the other risk I mention. 
I'm taking a break from huge risks in my teaching/learning environment next year. Instead I am focused on greater detail with regard to pedagogy, curriculum, and my own efforts with Fullen's 6 C's: communication, collaboration, critical thinking skills, creativity, citizenship, and character. I am going to start this effort by directly teaching the mindsets and actions that support the 6 C's to students. That teaching will serve as a cornerstone of my work and my students' efforts all year. 

Do you truly still believe in incremental change?
I imagine you mean here change that happens over months or years.  I think that kind of change is too slow given the way the world is changing.  I think we need to increase the pacing with which we make important change, but I do think change needs to be thought out, and planned for. 
My thoughts remain the same in this regard. 
I definitely believe in incremental change, and look forward to the growth my goals and actions will bring next year for my own work and for my students' experience of school and learning. 

With what school in the country are you most impressed because of the way that they serve kids?
Presently there's no one school that impresses me alone, but there are multiple practices and efforts shared from all over the world that impress me.  I look forward to reading this good news about education from leaders and educators near and far. Hence, I hope educators continue to share the wonderful work they are doing. 
I am very impressed with what Pam Moran @pammoran is doing in her school district.  Recently I was impressed with what a neighboring school district, Weston, was doing with STEAM particularly since our efforts were unsuccessful. 
This remains a good question, and one for which I don't have a particular school at this time. I'll be on the lookout for this school during the year, and perhaps I'll even make a point of visiting the school I choose. This would be good professional development. As I think I'm wondering if I'll have the chance to visit Tony Sinais' school in New Jersey as I find Tony to be an inspirational leader who works in a public school like me. 

Are you a disruptive force for your school and education as a whole?
I'll let the readers of the blog and my colleagues answer that.
I won't comment on that now, as I'm still smarting from the STEAM disruption. 
This year I will continue to read, write, and share about the ways I think schools can develop in positive ways to teach children well. In my own school environment, I will focus on observation and understanding. I want to truly listen to, and understand well the initiatives, expectations, and structures in place. Last year's disruption (and struggle to a large degree) may have been rooted in the fact that I was misunderstanding some of the foundational beliefs and structures that exist in my own work environment. I'm interested to see what I notice as I look more deeply and take the time to listen carefully. 

Do you have enough courage to do this position?
In my current position, yes. 
Yes, but I'm rethinking strategy. 
Definitely, one of the areas of education I find most fulfilling is our mission which is to serve children well. This mission challenges me greatly, and it's a mission I'm committed to. 

What is your best example of how you model excellent learning for kids?
I am a learner with students.  I embark on similar explorations.  We meet to share ideas and questions.  I teach my students and they teach me. 
I continue to do the same and it remains successful. I only wish I had more time for my own creativity and learning--that would help. 
I bring learning full circle. For example last year I took a brand new research report and examined each element with depth, then I redesigned a signature unit of study by implementing all the elements included in the research report with our TEAM Research Project. I shared the research with the children and brought the project from start to finish ending with reflection--it was a terrific study, one that both students and I profited from. 

What fuel do you have in the system to promote students innovation and creativity?
We have some amazing tools and amazing, innovative teachers who are pushing new strategies and endeavor to promote innovation and creativity.  I have been keenly watching and listening to those teachers.  This week one of those teachers is going to host my class for a STEAM afternoon--I know I'll learn a lot.
I continue to look to those teachers, but currently innovation at my system level has met more resistance than support. 
The parents in the school system where I teach support all worthy, dynamic education efforts. These parents are well educated and active in multiple disciplines. They understand the need for innovative and creative teaching/learning environments. They support this kind of study and work in their own homes as well. 

Are your college-ready kids truly life ready?
I think the opportunities exist in our community and school to make students life-ready, greater access to those opportunities for all will serve to increase this effort.
I think there needs to be a greater emphasis on global, cultural, and economic share, contribution, and understanding for this to happen. 
Similar to last year's reflection, I continue to believe that we have to engage our students in real world learning tools, venues, questions, and pursuits on both a local and global scale. The more our learning design, efforts, and resources reflect that, the better able our students will be to succeed in college and beyond. 

Is your school a joyous place?
Yes, our students are happy.  People remark that our students "skip down the hall" and if you visit our school, you'll notice that. 
Overall the students are very happy.  Many teachers are struggling with issues of choice and voice, and if this is not remedied, the struggle may trickle down to students.  Teachers are more than conduits of information, and that's important to recognize. 
Again, I continue to believe our school will be a joyous place in the new school year. The care and attention each child receives from staff members, classmates, families, and the greater school community continues to support every individual well. The student-centered approach our school system supports matters and is evident in the joy our students exhibit throughout the grades. 

Are you dreaming big enough?
This is a great question for me--there are some dreams I've yet to consider. I see this question as a positive challenge. 
Perhaps too-big, if that's possible. 
Again, in my own small work situation the answer is perhaps too-big, but for the world of education, I don't think I'm dreaming big enough. We do have to act as a citizenry to propel a high quality education forward for every child, and to do this we have to think outside of the school building. We have to make sure that every child grows up in safe, nurturing, environmentally beautiful, healthy, and happy communities. We have to take good care of our nation's children, and pay attention to that with regard to every decision we make in all disciplines. I believe that better organization and goals of systems and structures will support this.