Next year, I'd like my students to journal online. Each week, I'm going to ask students to complete a myriad of journal assignments including free writes and specific writing assignments. Why online?
- Online is easier to read.
- Utilizing spellcheck and other online tools will help students to become better writers and spellers.
- They will be able to transport their writing easily to multi-media compositions.
- Students will be able to "journal" with video, podcast and other creative venues.
- Students can easily add images to their writing.
- Students will utilize different fonts and colors to their journal to illustrate their thoughts and ideas.
- I can quickly and thoughtfully comment on students' writing.
- I won't need to lug home a large canvas bag of journals.
- If students still want to draw and or write by hand (which I still enjoy at times), they can simply PhotoBooth or scan their work and add it to their journal.
- Students will be able to quickly access their writing for story assignments.
- Students will access their journals in places near or far, and keep their journal year to year if they choose.
- Students will add important links to their stories, lists and entries.
I'm leaning towards using Google sites for student journals, but I'm exploring other venues too. I plan to try the journal out this summer so I'm ready to employ the process in the fall. Let me know if you have thoughts or ideas related to this. I know that students' writing will develop substantially with this venue.