Sunday, September 14, 2014

No Space to Share: Make a Video

My new classroom offers little space to share 3-D projects. What's a teacher to do with students' terrific creativity?  Make a video of course.

Students are working on 3-D models of their favorite places in nature. They've use lots of creativity as they turned a table of recyclables, old paint, popsicle sticks, tinfoil, glue, clay, paper, and other assorted items into small models of their favorite landscapes. At first, some were perplexed asking, "How do I make a tree or water or grass?"

I showed this great video to get everyone started:


Now that students are finishing their projects, I'll have them write a short script using unit vocabulary and videotape themselves showing their model and real-time images of their favorite place while reading their script. We'll probably use iPads and WeVideo for the videos. After that we'll put all the videos together on one WeVideo so we can share each student's project with classmates, family members, and others who are interested in our favorite places in nature.

Fortunately a tech-savvy student is the first to finish so I'll have him navigate the process then help others. Once the project is complete, I'll share.  If you have any ideas to add, just let me know.


Note: I opted for a slide show presentation in the end rather than video due to time. Perhaps we'll use a video next time.