Monday, August 12, 2013

Classroom Setup: The Coaching Corner and More. . .

It's that time of year again to set up the classroom. I like to map and chart my efforts before the big, physical push of making sure "there's a place for everything and everything in its place." Hence this year's efforts:

A. The Coaching Corner
It's been two years since I got rid of the teacher's desk, and I've never looked back. What was once the teacher's desk area has slowly evolved to a coaching corner--the place where I meet with individuals and small groups to teach and coach.  It's also the place where I lead class digital shares too.

What tools, furniture, and information will make the coaching corner an inviting, collaborative learning space?

I'll begin with the following:
Photo Credit
  • A table that fits five or six.
  • A supply of chairs.
  • A plastic file of paper and pencils.
  • The rolling student file.
  • The tech cart. 
  • An easel and a white board.
  • Helpful signage that I can point to in order to encourage children.
  • Signage that reminds me of what's important, assistive tools and strategies, and current schedules, efforts.
Careful attention to setting up the coaching corner will help me to meet this year's goal which is to build my craft as teacher-coach.  I'll add a picture once the job is done.

B. Digital Share Space
This is a space for sharing digital projects and online tools.  The area will include the following:
  • Colorful rug
  • Lots of magnets
  • Easel
  • Whiteboard
  • Projector, document camera, speakers.
C. Class Share and Read Aloud Space--Quiet Space
This is a space for read aloud and students' quiet reading, writing, and research efforts.
  • Rug
  • Bean Bag Chairs
  • Book shelves, baskets, and lots of books bordering the space.
  • Math Vocabulary board.
  • Easel.
D. Learning Supply Center 
CREATED BY QUOTE PIXEL
This is the morning check-in space and student resource center. It's important that materials are well marked and accessible here. I will position this space near a big bulletin board, and in an area I can see from the coaching corner. 
  • Paper, pencils, markers.
  • Sign-out, Sign-in books.
  • Attendance, lunch count systems.
  • Extras for all assignments.
  • Encouraging posters.
  • Information posters with schedules, calendar, and more. 
E. STEAM Space 
PHOTO CREDIT

This will be the space for science, tech, engineering, art, and math materials. A space that's well marked with project and exploration items, a table or two, and related books and resources.
  • Informational book shelf and baskets
  • Plastic file drawers of materials.
  • Sink.
  • Work tables.
  • Bulletin boards with related materials. 
  • Invention space. 
F. Amphitheater
This is essentially the desks arranged in an amphitheater style for all-class shares and independent at-your-desk work. 
  • Student desks with desk name tags and resource lists.
G. Writing Center
  • Writing tools and books.
  • Helpful charts and posters. 
  • Publishing space: big bulletin boards.
  • Collaborative writing spaces: tables, clipboards, and small rug. 
H. Big Bulletin Board
I'll wet their appetite for the amazing numbers' unit we'll engage in at the start of the year on the bulletin board outside the classroom.







2016 Update: I have a desk again, but I use it as a table and supply space. New furniture was ordered for me and the desk was clean and new so I kept it to use in that way. Also my role has changed a bit and that's visible in the room set up as well.