Saturday, April 11, 2020

Do we ignore our deepest longings?

This time at home has many rediscovering what it means to be who they are. Relieved of the rat race that many lives have become, people have time to indulge in pastimes they've forgotten about or ignored simply because there wasn't the time or those pastimes weren't the highest priority with the time available.

If you have the good fortune of health during these coronavirus stay-at-hoe days, what you choose to do says a lot about who you are? Some are cooking up a storm, others are hiking all over their communities, still more are researching topics or creating stories, songs, cartoons, film, gardens, and some are working on house projects. Americans are facing this crisis with creativity in amazing ways. This is a silver lining of a devastating pandemic. This is also a chance to recalibrate life as we know it--a reflective pause that we can use to revise routines, priorities, and endeavor to make our lives and the lives of others better.

As I think about this, I am wondering how I will structure my time going ahead to include the pastimes that I truly enjoy, the activities I am choosing without the pressure of the day-to-day expectations. I'll think about this in the days ahead with the focus on taking my choices and longings seriously. Rather than simply following old time expectations related to my age, gender, class, past experiences and associations, I want to forge ahead with a lifestyle true to who I am, the contributions I am able to make, and where I want to travel. Onward.