Monday, March 16, 2020

Coronavirus Event Reflections - March 16, 2020

If there were no coronavirus event, I would be writing the day's schedule on the white board right now as I readied for a day that included a school assembly, lots of math teaching, and a reading lesson too. Instead, like most Americans, I'm working from home, listening to the news, and prepping a schedule for the day's activities. Also, like most Americans, I have that cloud hanging over my head that wonders if I'll get the virus, if family members will get the virus, and if anyone I love will be compromised greatly by this contagion. I find that having a good plan for the day's activities is the best way to counter that worry cloud.

Before students left school last Thursday, we introduced them to a learning menu. When I look at online stats, I can see that almost every child has been working on those practice tasks--that makes me happy as that helps children to continue the learning we've started as they reach for specific fifth grade learning goals. Once we hear from the system administration about next steps, then we'll contact families and students again about an updated learning menu and expectations.

Today I'll check in on my parents and siblings, start my vegetable garden seedlings in the sunny window, and likely go on an outdoor walk with my husband. I shopped for food for healthy meals so I'll likely cook a chicken today and then use the leftovers to make a good soup for tomorrow.

I've got a nice stack of books to read, movies cued to watch, online learning venues to review and update, and house chores to do, so I won't be bored. I just hope that my health stays positive, and I'll be on the lookout for ways I can help the community if needed. Onward.