Tuesday, October 08, 2019

Busy every minute

This is undoubtedly the busiest teaching year I have ever had. Much of what I wished for over the years has come true, and now the opportunity to do good work is amazing leaving me busy, busy, busy.

For probably the first time in my career, I cannot sign on to all the great opportunities that exist since to do my work well, I have to be choosy with my time and energy. I simply can't do it all, and some of what I am choosing to do is not the most glamorous, but instead, the most important to my students.

Homework support and review
Careful attention to student outcomes demonstrated that students who participated in effective practice, learned better. These students grew in skill, knowledge, concept, and confidence. This kind of personal response to students' thoughtful study matters, yet there isn't really any time-on-task at schools to do this work. It's mostly after hours work that adds up to ten or more dedicated hours a week. There are many varied views and research related to homework. I agree that homework should not be a source of frustration or contention in children's homes, but I see the good learning that comes from students who do have a regular and realistic homework routine at fifth grade. I like the knowledge I get about students' when I look at their homework papers. I like the way this review informs instruction, yet I don't like the time it takes and the lack of acknowledgement of this needed work as part of the teaching/learning profession--there's little support for the kind of time, attention, and focus this response and support includes.

I'll make this a priority this year as I coach my students ahead. Once the fall conferences are done, I'll offer a few extra help sessions. I'll also work with the team to think about how we might support the students who are clearly not making as much progress or completing homework successfully--we can't just leave those students aside as others take off. Finding time and making room to support those students are essential to those students' confidence and academic success.

Well-prepared learning experiences
When learning experiences are well planned and supported, the learning is engaging, meaningful, and memorable. This is important. I enjoy this work and will continue to focus in on doing this on my own and with colleagues.

Professional learning 
Quality professional learning truly empowers what we can do with and for students. Joining high-quality learning events truly enriches teaching and learning. This learning is varied including book studies, professional learning events, coursework, and more. Our team has signed onto a number of professional learning events to develop what we can do with and for students and the teaching/learning community. This work demands good time and attention.

There's not much more time to focus on much more than what I've listed above. Teaching children is time-consuming work--work that requires the best of us and work that requires good prioritization and personalization. Onward.