Monday, September 16, 2019

Naysayer response

On Twitter, I face a number of naysayers as I share political perspectives. I always think about what those naysayers write since I know that like everyone else out there, I don't have the monopoly when it comes to knowing. When those naysayers respond with disrespect, ridicule, and unsupported arguments, however, I mostly block those people from my Twitter feed. I simply don't have time or energy to entertain arguments from rude, disrespectful, and untruthful people.

The same is true in my day-to-day life. There is too much good work to do than to spend time with those that ridicule, disrespect, and speak in untruthful ways. I don't have time for that.

There will always be naysayers. Often, the naysayers have something of substance to say--a point of view that is important to hear and consider, but sometimes naysayers speak against your words simply to create reaction, cause disruption, and annoy. These words and actions are not worth our time and attention.

In the days ahead, there are a number of issues I will consider with those that disagree with me. In one case, I am interested in listening to the disagreements since I want to understand the issue fully. This issue is a pedagogical issue that I believe we can improve. Many dedicated educators have thoughtful perspectives about the matter. I believe that if the team is willing to entertain the discussion, we will achieve a better model for that specific work we do--a model that reflects our multiple vantage points, experience, and will to serve students well.

In another area of discord, I will more carefully navigate the work path in order to communicate with care and follow up on the details related to the effort. This is integral work that demands the best we can do.

With a politically charged year to come, there will be significant discord as people support various candidates for President of the United States and other offices. In these areas, I'll listen to respectful debate and commentary, continue to revisit my decision of whom to vote for and whom to support with the intention of supporting the best possible candidates for office, candidates who share the vision I have for our country's and community's future.