Friday, September 06, 2019

Good structure creates opportunity

Yesterday at a professional meeting, I was reminded of the fact that good structure creates opportunity. When you attend a meeting with a positive loose-tight agenda and protocols, you typically achieve a lot.

The same is true for the way you manage a teaching/learning environment. The more create the kind of structure that allows children to experience a safe, inclusive teaching/learning environment where they have the autonomy needed for optimal learning as well as the support for that desired movement from dependence to independence with countless formal and informal learning tasks, the more successful your teaching/learning community will be.

How can I work to foster this kind of good structure this year?

First, I want to continue to support protocols we've put in place including the morning greeting, sharing the schedule, engaging morning work, and student leadership.

I also want to continue to use time well by not rushing children and leaving good time to support their questions, needs, and interests.

Further, I want to catch students doing the right thing much more often than looking for areas of struggle or trouble. And when I catch students doing the right things, I want to be specific about the ways I notice that with comments such as the following:

  • I noticed that you used very good manners, that helps all of us to get along and feel respected.
  • I noticed that you were a very good leader in your group--you listened to everyone's ideas.
  • I noticed that you really helped out with clean-up, instead of talking or fooling around, you picked up a lot of papers and stacked a lot of chairs.
  • I noticed that you persevered with that activity--you stayed focused the whole time and achieved a wonderful end. 
  • I noticed that you added your own creativity to the assignment--that made your learning and final product so much better.
  • I noticed that when you caught the teacher making an error, you spoke up with respect and helped the teacher out. That's a sign of positive teamwork. Thanks. 
And, I want to engage students in discussion with regard to all classroom decisions, upcoming events, and expectations with questions like these:
  • How can we prepare for the field trip in ways that help all of us to make the most of this great event?
  • How can we build a better classroom team?
  • What do you need to learn more and better?
  • How can we solve that problem together?
  • How can we use words to empower each other rather than take each other down?
Creating an optimal classroom structure is like building a strong frame for a new home--it's the foundation we all need to learn and teach well.