Since that time I have adopted a positive strategy for goal setting that matches the expected criteria for Massachusetts' educator evaluator success:
- Review the standards in view of my work during the summer months.
- Draft goals on my own online portfolio during the summer for the following year.
- Track efforts towards meeting the goals on the portfolio page throughout the year.
- Use the portfolio page as a point of discussion with my evaluator throughout the year.
- Transfer information from the portfolio page to evaluator's documentation as required.
- Be on the lookout for professional activities, books, workshops, and other efforts to feed my professional goals throughout the year and apply as needed or interested.
- Try to engage in at least one or two professional learning efforts each summer that match my goals for the year ahead.
This has been a good professional process for updating my career goals and working towards bettering my craft and contribution. I share this with others as I know it's difficult to keep up with all the work required of the teaching profession and this is one way to target and streamline your efforts.