Thursday, May 02, 2019

Math Test One: May 2, 2019

Students will take the first of many math tests today--a systemwide test.

We'll start the test by reviewing best strategy.

I'll encourage students to do their best reminding them that when they "show what they know" teachers then know what still needs to be taught. I'll also encourage them to take their time and check their work, and I often share with them the ways that I use my imagination to get through big tests such as imagining I'm in a challenging situation and that doing my best on the test will free me from that trap or win me a big prize (I share stories of castles, dragons, million dollar prizes, and all kinds of other imagination situations that match the kinds of games my young students' play).

Then I'll be there to answer the questions that I can answer, and answer those that I can't answer with "trust yourself, do your best." At the end of the systemwide tests, students will immediately get their score--that's satisfying for most students, and for those who are disappointed with their score, we'll talk a bit about what that means for future learning, supports, and efforts. In general, all of our students try their best, and when their scores are low, it means that they need different kinds of support or practice to help them ahead.

When done with the tests, students will have the opportunity to read books of choice or work on their biography research. Later in the day when everyone is done there will be time for recess, then the first big play rehearsal. It's busy days in fifth grade, days that require that we continually coach ourselves and our students with sensitivity and positivity. Onward.