Saturday, May 04, 2019

Don't let problems persist; act on it

Sometimes problems persist because we do not act on these problems readily. Instead we ignore the problems or put them aside. I believe that we do better to meet a problem head on.

For example, when students mostly had trouble with one problem on the math test the other day, I realized that I have to rethink the way I teach that standard. Although I taught the standard multiple times, the way I taught and reviewed that standard was not effective enough for the majority of students to grasp the concept. So right away, I wrote down a few new ways to teach that standard, ways that I'll put into place next year prior to the testing.

I know that by tackling the problem with analysis and a plan right away, I'm more likely to make better. I use the same process as I evaluate the school year overall using multiple formal and informal assessment points and inquiries to inform that analysis. Then when meeting with the teaching team, we talk about our collective analyses and revise the teaching/learning program accordingly. This is a good process for betterment.