Thursday, May 09, 2019

Advocate for betterment

Educators have to speak up about what they need to do the job well.

This occurred to me once again the other day when teachers learned of a decision that will compromise their program efforts next year. I listened carefully to the discussion. The decision doesn't impact me so I am not going to get involved with the exception of encouraging those involved to speak up.

Long ago when I was met with teaching/learning situations that compromised the work I was able to do with students, I began speaking up in any way that I could. I received a lot of push back and not very much help with regard to my advocacy. Eventually, however, I did gain support both online and in real time and some very important changes occurred with regard to the resources I needed to be able to teach well. Right now, in many ways, I'm in an optimal teaching situation--a place where most days I can do a great job alongside my colleagues with and for students. This is awesome, yet the path to get here was not easy--it took courage, resilience, and a willingness to risk.

What advice do I have for educators who, similar to what I faced, are in a position where good resources and support are taken from them or not given to them thus obstructing the job that they can do for children?

I would tell them the following:
  • Join your teachers' union and get active.
  • Join online teacher sites to gain support, ideas, resources and opportunities from invested educators.
  • Speak up in your work place. Begin by trying to work with your immediate coaches and administrators, and if that doesn't work, go up the chain of command. As you advocate always keep your language focused on the mission of your job which is to teach children well. Also be ready to provide evidence and rationale that substantiates your advocacy, need, and interest.
  • Keep abreast of what is happening in the greater community and world both related and unrelated to education. I often read threads from Harvard Business School, politicians, leading educators from all kinds of institutions, and teachers and leaders from other countries as well. This reading helps me to aline my ideas and work with what's happening and what will happen in our world, and how that affects the work we do and want to do in schools. 
  • Stay informed and up-to-date about all aspects of your job expectations--become an expert at what it is your charged to teach and do. Greater expertise makes the job more interesting, enjoyable, and successful. 
  • Speak up and out about injustice. Know the laws. Know your contract. Don't be shy about asking questions related to efforts that seem unjust, unlawful, or just plain wrong. 
To make schools better teachers have to advocate--they have to speak up with respect, good research, and ideas that help to make positive changes for our students and ourselves. That will result in better schools and better schools will result in a stronger country where people will rightly have the opportunity for "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."