Wednesday, April 03, 2019

What Matters Today?

I'm coaching myself to focus on what matters. This takes substantial focus because other matters get greater attention, support, and praise, yet I know the focus I have is a right and positive focus for my work with children.

What's popular is not always what's best?

With that in mind, I coach myself forward for today's efforts:

MCAS Test Practice
We're testing the school's tech infrastructure for MCAS today and giving students a chance to try out the MCAS practice test. We'll talk about optimal test strategy and review the test together. It will be a bit dull for those that like to move ahead and work on their own, but similar to Monday's somewhat laborious review of math details, this review will help students to do their best on the upcoming tests and ensure that our school's tech infrastructure is ready. One strong point of our school system is that when it comes to tech support, our machines are typically ready for testing and other state mandates.

Volume Practice and Line Plots
I'll give students an opportunity to use cubes to build all kinds of structures, and then determine the volume of those structures. I'll review the measurements for volume including length X width X height, base X height, length X width X depth, base X depth, and length X width (base) X layers which is another way to say height. One word can mix children up when they are learning new concepts. For example last year students got mixed up when they say the word, depth, because we had not talked about it. Students will also complete and discuss fraction line plots--a rather simple concept to teach, and one that they are expected to understand in fifth grade.

Today will mark a day that students have been introduced to all fifth grade math concepts. There's so many more projects and hands-on explorations we can employ to deepen that knowledge and understanding, however I feel it's important to at least introduce every standard prior to the MCAS tests. In the days ahead, students will engage in a number of activities to deepen that understanding.

In summary, what matters to me is teaching every child in the grade level well. That's a good focus--one that I can invest myself in and work towards. Onward.