Sunday, April 07, 2019

We are responsible for our words and actions

Each of us is responsible for our words and actions. That's why it's imperative that we take time to think deeply about what we say, how we say it, and what we do. Our words and actions are powerful and create domino effects in multiple directions.

How can we be cognizant of this fact, and use that cognition to speak and act with care?

First, it's important to give everyone the benefit of the doubt when working with them. Rather than approaching people with preconceived notions, we need to approach people with a fresh perspective--the kind of perspective that expects people to do their best.

Next, it's critical that we listen carefully. What is someone truly saying. If we don't understand their words after we listen, we need to ask for clarity by posing questions: Did I hear you correctly? Do I understand this correctly?

And we can't rush situations. Even if an issue seems small and unimportant, we have to give it good time and process so the issue is dealt with carefully and accurately.

Over my tenure as an educator, I have found that problems occur when we don't give situations good time, care, and conversation. When we rush seemingly small issues, those issues become big problems. I have also noticed that when we don't take time to clearly understand a situation or we prejudge an individual and their efforts, we waste time and make issues and situations more problematic rather than moving ahead with those situations.

As I think of this, I am thinking about the ways that I can take more care, time, and attention to issues that matter in my midst--issues that will prove to better the work I do on my own and with others.

First, it's imperative that I continue to support the terrific grade-level team I work with. I feel so fortunate to work in a top-notch collaborative model that seeks to teach every child well. The fact that we work so well together gives us greater ability to serve every child. We support one another with our individual strengths, perspectives, and experiences, and we check each others' efforts all the time as we question what we do, learn more, and work to continually make the teaching/learning program better. I want to continue to support this team with care.

Also, I want to support our school community too. We have a dynamic school with wonderful educators and happy children. I want to be a positive member of this greater school community and look forward to what we determine to be our collective goals and objectives in the days ahead. I believe it's time for us to re-look at what we do and how we do it to decide which traditional practices should remain as a cornerstone of our school's culture, what efforts are ready for retirement, and what new efforts and initiatives we can add to make our school as good as it can be. I think we're ready for a vision reset.

And with regard to the school system, I have been proud to work for such a strong school system for over three decades. My own children had wonderful educations in that school system, and the system is typically well supported by the community. Presently there are many changes in the greater community and within the schools, that create an opportunity to reset the vision of the entire school system. I believe it's time to think again about who we are as a greater teaching/learning community and where we are headed.

On the state level, I am pleased with many initiatives forwarded by the Massachusetts Department of Education. They are offering multiple curriculum supports, ready communication, and lots of opportunities to get involved with the foundation of education in Massachusetts. I am also pleased with our Massachusett's Teachers Association's efforts to fight for fair funding for schools. I know that schools without adequate funding, staffing, leadership, or structures are compromised, and those compromises are hurting students and their families. Those children are our state's future, and we need to invest in those children in ways that matter now.

I also know that we waste money and time too everywhere in schools on initiatives, roles, structures, and staffing that are not effective--we need to rethink how we staff, structure, and lead schools. In most schools there are not enough well-trained people working with children on a daily basis, and often there are too many people telling educators what to do rather than getting in there and doing the work. We need to streamline roles that don't work directly with students and add more skilled staff to roles that work directly with students, roles including teaching, counseling, nursing, and more. To well care for our children now, is to create a strong future for later. We can do this. We must do this.

With our own work, we have to make sure we're not wasting time and energy on empty or destructive words or actions--our professional work needs to be aimed in ways that lead us forward with positive effort, speak, and collaboration. We can do this. We must do this. This work matters.