Monday, February 04, 2019

Coach Well

One of my best sources of inspiration over the years have been my son's swim team coaches--those coaches target swimmers' needs, set goals, and coach their teams to success with countless positive team building and skill building efforts. They don't only coach the young people for swimming, but they coach them for life too. That's my goal as a teacher too.

As I think about this, I'm thinking about what I can do to deepen my ability to coach students forward.

Of course, there are the typical aspects of good coaching including positive relationship building, time-on-task, and knowing each and every learner well. That good work leads to good coaching. Next, it's essential to use time well. We have to consider where time is wasted and where time is well spent. I think we can go a bit deeper as a team and spend our time a little bit better to coach students well.

What real time change and action does this deeper learning prospective translate to?

First, the extra help sessions in the mornings and at lunch are effective. The more that I can use that time well, the better. These times are so effective for several reasons. First, children choose to come--the investment is there. Next, there's typically less children and more time to focus on those that need or want the help, and third, I can target the the support to what children need.

Next, I can use the informal and formal assessments well to understand what children need. These informal and formal assessments demonstrate to me what students are misunderstanding and what will help them more.

And, I can better tailor online programs and supports to help students learn. There are so many great online resources, and the better I use them, the better students can use those platforms as support.

Also, continuing our regular communication with families and enlisting their support with regard to supporting student practice and even teaching some of the math skills that require a bit more one-to-one support.

Further, continuing to access good coaches and supports via the Internet, books, and real time conferences and courses, helps to build better teaching and leading ability in this area. Membership on the YouCubed Facebook thread has been very helpful.

Math has a great impact on students' problem solving and thinking skills. Math gives student important tools with which to see the world, think critically, and systematically solve important problems. There's good reason to coach this subject well, and I hope to continue my focus in this area.

I'm curious about the venues that others use to deepen their math teaching--I hope you will share.