Thursday, January 17, 2019

Revisiting the Practice Goal

I had hoped to carefully review each child's homework each week, but frankly since this falls completely on my own time after school, I have found that there simply isn't the energy or time to do this. My intentions are good, but the time isn't there. What works much better is making time for personal feedback during the school day and during extra help sessions--that feedback is meaningful for me and for the student. It's a better way to respond to student learning than spending countless hours reviewing students' work. That's not to say that a review of student work is never a good idea, but to say that we have to choose carefully when we make the time for such review and then do it well.

What works better for me and the students is the following:

  • online tests and quizzes that offer immediate feedback. That helps me to easily see who knows what and who needs help with specific concepts, skills, and knowledge.
  • using a writing-process-like approach to help students complete project work and related write-ups. I can work with students as they complete the work with care by conferencing, editing, and coaching them to an apt completion.
  • checking in now and then with regard to paperwork.
  • using systemwide online assessments to assess students' work
  • extra help sessions, RTI, and well designed core lessons.
I had lofty ideas for my goal this year only to find that the reach was too high and too difficult to achieve. Also the reach was a bit ill directed. Going forward, I will elevate the more meaningful ways to offer feedback and coach students forward, and not worry about including too many ways that don't have as great an impact. Onward.