Friday, January 04, 2019

Make the Learning Goals Explicit


As I work to strengthen, deepen, and develop science/math learning, I am recognizing the need to make those learning goals more explicit so that students can assess their own learning. This is not news for any educator as the mantra of making the goals explicit is echoed throughout the teaching/learning world.

I want to look closely at this aspect of bettering math/science teaching. As I do this, I will focus closely on the standards as a starting point for each floor-to-ceiling science/math exploration.

For example today when two groups of students focus on two different explorations, the specific learning will focus on these two questions?

  • What are properties, and how can I determine an object's unique set of properties?
  • What is a physical change? What is a chemical change? How are these changes the same and how are these changes different?
I know from my own learning that to focus on the important questions up front is to open up your mind for good learning.

I've also noticed that with my own teaching I tend to put too much out there for every exploration, hence I'm trying to shorten the exploration breadth so there's more time for student conversation, exploration, reflection, and share. While we never have the time or energy to do all that's possible, a well-designed floor-to-ceiling exploration whets the appetite for greater learning and exploration on students' own time at play in school or at home. That's the learning ideal. 

So as I approach a positive science/math routine, I'll likely follow this pattern:
  • Present the question, story, rationale, and/or problem to open minds, enlist investment, and make meaning.
  • Review the basic steps--steps that can be modified or enriched by teachers/students as needed.
  • Student set-up
  • Student exploration, experimentation, investigation including data collection, reflection, conclusions.
  • Clean-up
  • Share