Sunday, December 02, 2018

Making Time for Math/Science Presentation, Discussion, and Debate

In the rush to help students master all the standards in math and science, I have had trouble making time for essential math/science presentation, discussion, and debate.

How will I fit this in with greater fidelity and strength in the days ahead.

In science, I'll begin with our latest salt, water, and egg exploration, an exploration inspired by a recent visit to Sturbridge Village and our study of colonial ways including the use of brine to preserve foods.

We carefully constructed the lab report for this investigation to include good data collection models and questions that provoke deep thinking, connection making, and analysis. To foster good discussion, I'll give students time to think deeply and complete their lab reports with science partners and groups. Then I'll structure a good discussion and debate time using a to-be-identified good structure for bringing 22 people together for a shared discussion and debate. I'll revisit colleague circles and hosting conversations for some inspiration in this regard and I'm reaching out to colleagues too for ideas.

Similarly I'll foster a similar discussion in math w/regard to how we analyze numbers and decide the best way to multiply when it comes to a specific number set.

I'm looking forward to this work. When we work to deepen our learning and teaching, the work becomes much more interesting and satisfactory. I really like having a new learning adventure ahead, one that I know will result in better teaching and learning for my students and me. Onward.