Monday, November 05, 2018

The Practice Goal: Reflection November 2018

This year's teaching/learning goal is to better support student practice. This goal includes the following efforts:
  • Weekly online practice exercises and practice packets
  • Weekly review of and response to student practice
  • Regular communication with students, colleagues and family members related to student practice.
  • Two extra help sessions each week to help students with practice
  • Using student practice efforts to inform the teaching/learning program
  • Weekly updates, support, and review of in-class learning menu options
As I move down this practice goal path, I can say that I know my learners well. Regular review of their practice efforts as well as in-class study, daily discussion, and assessments have helped me to understand the learners with depth. This knowledge has helped me to understand who is precise, organized, willing to reach, and advocate for themselves. I also know who needs extra help with completing practice, specific skills/knowledge/concept, and asking for help. 

Student practice has helped me to refine my efforts too as I work to promote just-right practice for each child and create opportunities for repetition, review, and enrichment where needed. 

There's no way around the fact that it takes time and practice to learn math well. This week as I promote better and more practice for students, I'll explicitly discuss the connection between practice and good learning. I'll note that those who complete practice with care, self-advocacy, and reach generally learn more math. I'll remind students that I'm there to help them and encourage them to reach out for my help. I'll also encourage their collaborative work so that they create opportunities to learn and practice with one another. 

I also want to encourage school systems to make time for teachers to attend to practice opportunities and review. Too often educators' schedules limit their ability to review, create, and support optimal practice opportunities for students. Around the world, many countries that do the best with education, do make more time for educators to attend to practice. This is an important factor we need to consider in the United States as we continue to work to elevate schools in ways that matter. Onward.