Saturday, November 10, 2018

Teaching, Holidays, and More

The holidays are around the corner and there's much to do at school. I've spent some time looking at the long view to figure out how I'm going to fit it all in and what the focus will be.

In general the big theme is kind attention to family, colleagues, students, and friends. That means carving out the time to be able to be present for them at school, at home, and elsewhere.

In school, I plan to promote steady, caring attention to each child I teach via a number of varied learning experiences meant to engage children in mastering the many standards we're charged to teach. We'll move along step by step and adjust in ways that respond well to students' needs and interests. The key is to be prepared with materials, room set-up, and response.

At home, preparing for the holidays means readying the house, preparing foods, and making time for those closest to me. The biggest challenge is making sure that I reserve good energy for the events and people that matter.

With some travel and wait time on the horizon, I'll have to plan ahead for the teaching to come in the new year as well. We have a good program in place, the materials and support we need to teach well, and a schedule that affords us the time to do that work. What's most important at this time is following a positive routine of teaching and learning well. Onward.