Tuesday, November 06, 2018

Refining Physical Science Unit


This week I'll work to refine the physical science unit. To do that, I'll engage in the following activities:

Reorganize Supplies
I'm shifting many materials to make space to reorganize the many physical science supplies I have.

Integrating Math and Science
To make space in the curriculum for this teaching, I'll create a number of math/science lessons that introduce students to the science tools while studying math. Those lessons will include lessons related to measuring with balances, cylinders, and other measuring devices.

Review
To teach the fifth grade standards means we have to review past standards. Review lessons will include a focus on properties, measurement, teamwork, completing lab reports, and writing reflections.

Physical Science Lessons
I'll prep these lessons by reviewing the curriculum materials, websites, and other information in order to craft a number of lessons that match the standards and fit into the time available.

Science Practices
I'll revisit the science standards to make sure those standards are a cornerstone of all of our lessons.

Environmental Science Connections
I'll review the information shared by our naturalist coach and see how we can meld the physical science unit and our environmental science efforts.

Assess Efforts
I'll assess my planning and prep efforts, in part, via a recent Massachusetts Department of Education Policy Brief about curriculum choice, creation, revision and change.

Students love learning science. That's the momentum that will energize the work above as I prepare for rotations that begin in earnest in December.