Saturday, October 13, 2018

Updating the Way We Teach: Learning Menus and Websites

The way we teach and learn is becoming more and more sophisticated and streamlined thanks to the amazing potential of technology. I can more easily personalize and target teaching with all kinds of wonderful instructional materials and learning events to better meet students needs.

As an educator, I am a fan of the standards as a framework for learning. Then, with the standards as a framework, I work to strengthen the learning experiences for each and every child utilizing a number of venues including the following:
  • hands-on investigations, creations, and problem solving
  • videos
  • games
  • online and offline exercises
  • explicit lessons
  • collaborative learning experiences
  • students teaching students
  • regular systemwide and grade-level formal and informal assessments to inform the teaching/learning program
Some of the main tools I use as I update the learning menu and effort include the following:
Two resources that I plan to use more in upcoming units are Jo Boaler's book about teaching fifth grade math and the book Timeless Learning These books are written by extraordinary educators and researchers who are committed to what is best for students and our future. I hope to embed their work and research into my efforts to teach well.