Monday, October 22, 2018

See the promise in the problem. . .

Life is full of problems. Problems are the hills and mountains we navigate as we traverse life's path. To avoid problems is to stymy growth, however to tackle problems in ineffective ways also hinders the good travel possible. So what is a teacher to do?

First, it's essential to see the promise in the problem and to ask, what is this problem teaching me about life?

As I think of that focus today, I am thinking about the teaching/learning path in general. Recent challenges have me seeking that promise--the learning available.

Continued struggle in specific areas demonstrate a need for analysis, evaluation, and change. And these struggles signal the fact that I can't navigate this on my own as I have tried to do in the past--there needs to be a collective effort in this regard. Hence I will work with others to solve this problem and hopefully our collective work will result in better, more streamlined, and accurate revision.

Similarly another problem has demonstrated to me that I was looking for answers in areas where no answers exist which means I have to direct my questions and efforts elsewhere to a group with similar interests and goals. I want to curate my goals as well to better align the goals with systemwide efforts and direction. I will do this in good time.

In the meantime, I'll listen, observe, take notes, and consider the many efforts at play as I work to meet the goals I've created for the year--goals that focus on student practice and environmental education. This is a good week to focus in on those goals. Let's see where that takes me.