Friday, October 19, 2018

Evidence Hunt: Finding the Truth

Recently a situation occurred where inaccuracies were shared hence I've been up all night reading through back emails collecting evidence related to the truth of the matter. I've been trying to piece a number of emails together to demonstrate what really happened.

This has taken me a long time and I'm up way past my bedtime on the night before a special family event.

Could I have avoided this dilemma?

Yes, if I simply ignored the problem and accepted the consequences.

Yet, I think we can do better. I like to strive for very good results rather than simply settle for what's available.

In the meantime, as I collected the evidence, my end conclusion is that I want to hear what others have to say about the facts. I also want to hear more facts to gain greater clarity. What really happened? Why? And what's expected now?

I'll also think carefully about the accusations. What's true and what's not true? If there are misconceptions, where do they come from?  Is the analysis shared based in fact? What is the overall purpose of the dilemma, and what is the promise in this problem? Who are we as educators, and what are the priorities we rally around, commit to, and forward? Essentially, what matters?

There's always opportunity to grow from any situation good or bad. Today took an unexpected and upsetting detour, yet despite the initial snafu, the children's day was successful and fun. Onward.