Monday, October 01, 2018

A Day of Unexpected Events: Life in the Real World

I worked a lot this weekend and was ready for the teaching and learning ahead with the exception of xeroxing the work completed.

I came into work in time to copy the needed packets and then found a bit more time to copy another packet for student study. That's when the unexpected events began. I had to stop the copying due to the unexpected visit by the repair man. Then when the copies were resumed there were unneeded extra papers attached, so I had to stop the copying again.

During the school assembly, the lights went out for a brief minute or two which was handled well by the students and leaders. Later the first lesson didn't go as expected. What I expected to be quite easy for the students turned out too be too difficult so we did the work together. I continued to find time for the copying stopping to repair the machines about every 10-15 minutes as the copying continued. As I copied I forget that the clocks were not working and the times for specials were not the same as last year, hence I returned to a class of students saying, "Where were you?" I instructed them about what to do when a teacher is missing and told them what happened. It was only a short space of time so it wasn't a big deal and an event that often happens at the start of the school year as everyone gets used to new schedules and routines.

Then looking at my computer, I became worried that the power wouldn't last through the last lesson so I ran out to my car to get my charger only to be met by a slew of wasps that bit me multiple times in the face and legs. After a nurse's visit and reporting the wasp nest to the office, it was time for the last lesson which, as you can imagine, found me a bit rattled by the wasp stings. Nevertheless we got through most of the learning.

Much of what happened today was the result of the start of a new units--new units take lots and lots of extra research and prep and take teachers down unexpected instructional roads which can throw us off balance a bit.

Overall the new unit was met with enthusiasm and we'll continue down the introductory path this week with as much preparation as possible when it comes to new learning endeavor.

Thankfully, I don't appear to be allergic to wasps and the whole affair could be a good scene in a sitcom especially the part when a couple of wasps flew up my pant leg and and were buzzing around biting inside my capris.

Life in school is never dull. It's always full of lots of unexpected events. It's about as real as life gets and that means there will always be lots of unexpected events. Onward.