Friday, September 14, 2018

Teaching 2018-2019: Professional Learning Routines

As the year gets started, I'm thinking of my professional learning routines this year--what's taking priority.

First, I'll consult, review, and revise the year's goals as needed. I'll add evidence and commentary to this list throughout the year to keep me centered on the goals, goals I share with my evaluator and others who are interested.

Next, I'll continue to study and analyze Darling-Hammond's and Cook-Harvey's research article--an article that will help me to modernize and uplift the teaching/learning program.

I'll also focus in on Boaler's Mathematical Thinking book for fifth grade and the activities in the SEL book I wrote with colleagues. I will also read Pam Moran, Ira Socol, and Chad Ratliff's  recent book, Timeless Learning, How Imagination, Observation, and Zero-Based Thinking Change Schools.

Further, I'll try to engage in at least one educator Twitter chat each week--chats like #edchat and #satchat open my eyes, introduce me to new resources and ideas, and engage me with wonderful educators throughout the world--this is a vital source of learning to teach well and improve your practice.

Finally I'll dig into the good curriculum programs we have and work to uplift those programs with greater attention to detail and worthy new resources that make the curriculum come alive in meaningful and memorable ways for students.