Saturday, July 14, 2018

What Happens When Your Student is a Waterfall of Ideas?

I had a student last year who was a waterfall of ideas. At every turn he was telling me how to make the classroom better. His ideas were terrific and his focus was directed towards betterment for all, not just himself. He's definitely a leader in the making, however as I think back on this, I didn't really have the right structure for his ideas or his urge to lead and make better.

I thought about this today as I too am a waterfall of ideas. I love thinking about betterment and trying to figure out how to update, transform, and improve systems of teaching and learning. And I'm sure that those I work with find my idea generation to be overwhelming and out-of-place at times.

What are we to do when we're a waterfall of ideas or when we are working with similar students?

With regards to students and perhaps teachers like me, we have to carve out areas for them to lead--areas where they can truly develop and grow their ideas in ways that matter. For example with the boy I mention, I should have found worthy places in the teaching/learning program for him to lead. I did try to do that, and in the areas I chose there was never the time to support his leadership well and thus it didn't work out. In hindsight, I should have made more time upfront to recognize his creativity and will for change, and worked more to coach him with specific leadership tasks. He would have been a great recess coach for younger children or program leader in an early grade classroom. This would have given him space to lead and have helped many others too in meaningful ways.

I had other students, similar to this child, who wanted to lead too. In one case, I did simply give the child the task of planning the lesson and leading me. She took on that responsibility and the lesson turned out to be terrific for so many. I learned a lot too. In another situation, I found a way for a child to share her urge to lead and reach, and she and a friend grabbed that opportunity and within hours had completed the task--a meaningful task that would have taken me days. Their completion was far more authentic and engaging since it came from their voices as the learners rather than my voice as the teacher.

I want to read more about people who are waterfalls of ideas, people eager for betterment and people in love with promising change. Who are those people in your midst? Where are they best directed? How do we support students like this in ways that matter? Let me know what you think?