Friday, June 29, 2018

When decisions don't match your beliefs

It's discouraging to open up the news and see article and article from leaders that you don't agree with. This morning I read Devos' plea for more privatization of our country's schools--her argument is discouraging since she visited a few schools and systems that match her beliefs and then use those schools to prove her point. She doesn't do extensive research, consult the experts, or go deep with the problem, but instead looks for a few examples to match her view, a view I believe serves only a few rather than the many in the United States.

Then there is the Janus Supreme Court decision that lessens the strength of unions in the country. I believe in unions and what unions can do for individuals' rights, fair pay, and work conditions. I think that busy, regular people in our country need unions to help support what they need to live and work well.

Of course there's the President's speak and actions that rarely to never support the kind of country I believe in, a country that seeks life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness for all citizens, not just a small percentage of wealthy Americans as Trump's policies seem to support.

Thankfully at home in Massachusetts, there are many policies and actions I believe in. Our well supported public schools led by both the unions and the state are doing well, and I believe there is momentum to do even better. I am proud to be a teacher in Massachusetts. I know there is always more that we can do, and I hope to be apart of doing more and better.