Who is the leader you wish for?
What attributes do they display?
I desire to be this kind of leader to my students, the same kind of leader that I respect and look for:
- sees you as a person first--someone who takes the time to get to know you
- trusts your judgement, passion, and drive
- works with you
- lets you lead and make decisions
- offers opportunities for growth and betterment
- leaves you alone to do your work
- doesn't conjecture about you, but instead asks you questions
- entertains your questions with respect and response no matter how small or seemingly insignificant those questions may seem
- values your individuality
- recognizes that no one knows all or can be all things
- has a sense of humor
- shares their story
- anticipates your needs and works to make life better for you in ways that matter
- invests with you in shared endeavor and goals
- learns with you
Fortunately there are some good leaders in my midst, leaders I do look to for mentoring in this respect.
Now it's time to hone those leadership skills as I work with children today. Onward.