Wednesday, February 07, 2018

You Pay a Price for Honesty

I was thinking about honesty and the fact that it does cost to be honest, but I think the cost is mainly a short term cost while the gain is long term. I'm willing to pay the short term cost and sometimes loss that honesty brings. That matters to me.

Those who don't regard honesty with respect or belief, may strike out against honesty--people like that often prefer the veneer. They like to make things appear as they want them to be seen and not exactly as they are.

Others simply disregard honesty by staying silent and ignoring honest facts and discourse. Instead they lean in a direction that will support their ambition and gain--that's what matters to them.

Fortunately in my position as an elementary school teacher I work with lots of honest people--children. Children rarely don't tell the truth. They're almost always honest. Our collegial work profits from honest discourse too, and for the most part, is welcome.

Anything worthwhile has a price. It could be a price of time, commitment, sacrifice, or endurance. Honesty has its price, and I believe it's worth the cost.