Thursday, February 15, 2018

When your emails receive no response

Generally few to no administrators respond to my emails. There are a few that do, and I am thankful for the time they take to respond. As for those who don't respond, I realize they don't like my emails and would rather that I talk to them in person about my many ideas, questions, and requests. The challenge here is that my time or talking to them is limited to a few minutes on either side of a teaching day when scheduled ahead of time, and generally ideas, questions, and requests happen in response to daily events, not events that are known ahead of time or scheduled.

I've become used to receiving little to no response to emails, and let those notes hang out there in the air. I only write when I feel strongly about an issue or when I have a specific need, the kind of need that will enhance students' learning and my teaching. For example I wrote recently to request a supply that fits the curriculum expectations. I received no response. I've used up my personal savings for school supplies this year, so if students have a hard time on that test item, I'll simply note the lack of a supply that would give them first hand experience with the concept--the kind of concept that students have to experience in order to learn deeply. I'll likely order that supply for next year's students when ordering time comes around in June.

I know that I email more than most. I ask more questions and have more requests too. It's possible that I share more ideas too. I long for share systems that enable fluid communication and response. I notice how systems like that are supported in successful industry too.

Sometimes your emails receive no response. In general the lack of response is a response that says, "You and your ideas don't matter." People on the front lines of organizations are used to responses like this unfortunately.