Monday, February 05, 2018

Do It Better

As I reflect on a day that could have been a lot better, I'm thinking about how tomorrow will be a better day. What can I change.

  • The stress I felt about what are truly too-big expectations, in part, led to a tough day. We are not superhuman, and I have to face those expectations with the reality that I'll do the best that I can.
  • The fact that some children did not follow the rules which resulted in lost planning and lunch time for me propels me to review the rules tomorrow with them. Some rules are important to safety, and teachers do need their time to take a short break, eat lunch, plan, and prep. That time is very important to the success of our days.
  • Even though I want to do all I can to help students master the standards, I can't forget that our class community comes first, and sometimes you simply have to slow it down to build good relationships and foster optimal learning.
The not-so-good days are days that signal the need for some change, and in this case, I'll make the changes above.