Friday, January 19, 2018

Why Does Health Care Have To Be So Complicated?

This message relayed by the teachers' union is worrisome. I want to learn more, yet many of the meetings planned are planned with short notice, at a far distance from my home , and/or at a time when I am working. This makes it difficult to get involved. 


Today I received notice that many educators in Massachusetts may be facing changes in their health care. I know that many educators recently faced changes in health care and this means one more change. I also know that many of us are completely confused about health care.

I receive countless notices about my health care, most that I don't even understand. I know that many don't take advantage of health care benefits because those benefits are so confusing. I'm noticing greater reluctance amongst people with regard to going to a doctor due to the cost and confusion. This is all problematic.

We hear the government discussing health care all the time. We notice politicians like our president supporting increased wealth for the rich rather than good health care for all. I believe he believes in the survival of the fittest, and to him "fittest" is measured by wealth.

Life is challenging enough without having to worry all the time about health care confusion and change. It seemed so much simpler just a few years ago when you paid your monthly fee and got most of the health care you needed. Now it's all kinds of complex plans that only those with advisors can understand well similar to the need for advisors for investment funds.

Confusing, complicated, and reduced health care plans put most people at a disadvantage, and set people up for less health benefits and less overall personal health. This is a big problem that needs to be solved, and should be solved with fair process and the inclusion of the voices of those involved.

I'm disheartened by the news I heard today, and will listen to the voices of many as I decide the next course of action related to this.