Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Do You Listen to Educators?

I shared a point of view to learn that my point of view was different than others. I knew it was different from some, but the note inferred that my point of view differed from many. What is true? I'm not sure.

To find the truth of the matter, I'll have to explore the issue with greater depth with these questions: What do you think of that policy? Do you think the policy should be more flexible? Do you believe a different policy will serve us better? I have inquired about this and have heard that some other educators agree with me.

I suspect that the response I got was based on limited research, and as stated, my point of view was my own, not the viewpoint of others. Now I'm wondering what others think, and what is the best way to collect an honest point of view with regard to the matter. I am also wondering if the issue matters when it comes to our priority which is teaching children well. I'm wondering if the policy as it exists now has truly made a significant difference with regard to the ways we teach and the ways student learn. There's a lot to investigate.

In a similar situation recently, I heard and read teachers' points of view and realities misrepresented. Those speaking acknowledged that teachers felt one way and had access to resources that I don't believe is correct. Yet I am only one teacher in one school, and it may be true that those points of view and resources are accurate with regard to other educators that I don't know or have regular contact with.

In the end, I continue to be a fan of inclusive systems of transparency and share. I believe that distributed systems of leadership elevate truth and accuracy as well as the voices of all stakeholders. When educators have little voice and choice, their perspectives and reality are often misrepresented, and misrepresentations are not helpful when it comes to creating helpful policy and protocols for teaching well.