Friday, November 03, 2017

Moving Good Work Forward

I find, in general, there is resistance to new initiatives that lead to better work. In many ways, people, in general, are reluctant to look deeper at new research to better efforts. We generally tend to move towards what we know.

For example, research shows that by bettering orientation efforts, students do better in school. I've tried to move this forward with my team, but we've met little support. Instead structures that have been in place for years remain without any review or change. Yet research points us in the direction of change.

At this juncture, I have to decide whether to continue to push or give up. My team and I have pushed a lot with regard to this idea, but we've received little real support or interest. It's very difficult to champion change of any kind in schools from the level of teacher which I must say is frustrating.

The same is true for cultural proficiency. We give the topic yearly attention, but we never really talk about how we're making real change in this regard--how are we changing curriculum, schedules, supports, and more to meet what the research is telling us about creating a more culturally proficient environment. Often we learn, but less often, we implement and embed the changes we learn about.

There is so much good research out there about bettering what we do in schools with and for children and their families, but the support for real change and teacher leadership in this regard is little.

I must say I'm frustrated about this, and will continue to think about what to do.

Initially, we have to look at our own practice. What can we do to improve our own practice with regard to research? How can we improve our daily efforts?

Then how can we work with others to make positive change? This is the challenging part as schools are usually densely organized which means we have to work through multiple channels to make even the smallest changes.

I've been working on this issue for years with less progress than I'd like. If you have any advice for me, I welcome your ideas.