Sunday, October 01, 2017

Personalized Practice: Math Skills and Concepts

I'm attempting to personalize math assignments for practice this year. It's tender because students like to be at the same place and do the same thing yet their skill status differs somewhat. What I decided to do is give students personalized practice sets, and then invite students to do the other sets if they like. That way they're getting the practice they need, and they have the choice to reach a bit more if they would like and feel ready to do this.

I really like the way many computer programs do this kind of personalization. For example, I used Khan Academy for this kind of practice last year, but that is no longer allowed in my school system. Symphony Math, which we do use, allows this, but it's difficult for students to do this at home particularly at this time in the year since they often need coaching to understand the visual models, the kind of coaching that's not available in most homes since it's a new way to learn and think about math. I know that there are other sites that level students up as they develop skill, but we don't have access to those at this time, so I'm attempting to do this on my own using a number of online sites as assistants.

Soon I'll be meeting with family members and students too. I'll inquire about this homework routine, one in which students have to access online menus to complete. I'll think with family members about what kind of practice works for their child and in their home, and we'll make some decisions that will support this personalized path.

It's very important to me and for the children that they begin to take ownership over their learning by following the directions, thinking about what works best for their learning, and advocating for what they need. I want the children to learn to learn, self-coach with positive talk and choices, and help me to help them. I also find that these personalized paths help me to know each child well and coach them better.

If you have thoughts about how personalized practice in math, let me know. I like it so much better than the one-size-fits-all practice that typically was too slow for some, and too fast for others--the personalized paths aims for the "just right" assignments.