Friday, October 20, 2017

Challenges

This week I met a professional challenge.

As typical of most challenges I face on the professional front, the challenge rose unexpectedly surprising me. I had not anticipated this event.

Why?

Perhaps I did not listen well or understand early year communications related to the issue.

Perhaps there were a variety of understanding at play, understandings not well communicated or shared by anyone.

Perhaps there were different philosophies and alliances too.

I really don't know, but I do know that challenges like this do arise now and then, and when they do, there is usually a tipping point--a place where the challenge stares you right in the face and says, "Do something."

My initial response to challenge is to ignore it or get frustrated. This isn't good. It's better to see the promise in challenge--to try to dissect it, understand it, and conquer it with best effort and effect. As I tell my students, I want to reframe my challenge response by doing the following:

  • Ask clarifying questions
  • Discover the history related to the event
  • Express my own point of view related to the event
  • Work with others to figure out the next steps
Challenge is an opportunity for good change and forward movement, and that's the attitude I want to use as I move forward.