Sunday, September 10, 2017

The Math Pre-Assessment

I reviewed a math unit pre-assessment this morning. Soon I will give that assessment to students, but prior to giving that assessment to students, we'll discuss the advantage of a pre-assessment, and how to use it to forward one's learning.

I'll tell them how I used the Massachusetts' Teachers' Elementary Math Test Pre-Assessment to notice what I knew well, and what I needed to study more. I'll tell them how I used the pre-assessment to create a learning path to passing the MTEL Math test.

Then I'll ask them to tell me how they've used the pre-assessments in the past to forward their learning of specific math knowledge, concept (big ideas), and skill.

Once they tell me, and I list their ideas on the board. I'll fill in with a few more ideas making sure that we include the following:
  • The pre-test tells us what we know well, and what we really don't have to work hard at learning since we already know it.
  • The pre-test identifies words we don't know--what language/vocabulary knowledge do we need.
  • The pre-test helps us to focus on successful strategies, and strategies that we need.
Before taking the pre-test, I'll ask students to do the following:
  • Place an asterix next to questions/answers you know well.
  • Highlight vocabulary you don't know well or at all. We'll focus on those words later.
  • At the end of the test, write down strategies that help you to do well with a test like this.
  • Also, at the end of the test, write down questions you have about the content of this test--what are you wondering about?
Later, I'll review students' notes and assessments. I'll use the results to inform the teaching/learning to come. Then students and I will revisit their efforts about halfway into the unit to see what they've learned, and what they still need to learn. This is one way to help students metacognate as well as learn to create effective learning paths to better their learning in any discipline. Onward.