Friday, September 01, 2017

Facilities, Maintenance, and New Initiaitves

Our school is in the midst of a large number of construction jobs. We have no teachers' room and the bathrooms were reduced by one. Some classrooms host large walls of plastic, and one hallway is closed. The children arrive in a few days.

I'm not a facilities manager or worker. I have little to no experience in that area, and I imagine that it's very difficult to run a school for about ten hours a day for ten months, and then get all the needed updating done over the summer. Yet to return to a school without a place to eat lunch or in the midst of considerable construction is a bit daunting and worrisome.

For many years, this has been the start of school pattern--lots of construction projects happening just before the first day of school, and then, generally, by the first day of school, the jobs are done and we're back in business.

Similarly, we received lots of big boxes yesterday. We knew they were coming, but I didn't imagine the sizes. Hence that meant rearranging the newly arranged classroom and lifting very heavy boxes up high to store until I have the time to dissect and arrange the many parts of this new curriculum. I know that this is a positive, long-range change for our curriculum program so I will give it the time it requires to teach the program well.

The new computers arrived in a wonderful, easy-to-use cart with no problem and a big welcome by me. Some new mandates arrived too, and met with less enthusiasm since the mandates don't seem to fit what my research tells me is good, modern-age learning and teaching. I will work with colleagues to understand this better, and advocate for change if needed.

My own classroom is very clean and ready for the teaching/learning year. It's bright, inviting, and welcoming. The classroom is also filled with countless materials for good teaching and learning. This is all positive.

As I think over the state of things and my role on our local union, I think that we need to better understand facilities, maintenance protocols, recycling efforts, environmental rules, idea/initiative efforts, and project timelines. This kind of regular reporting will help to prepare educators for the changes in the works, the rationale for the changes, and ways to get involved with this work in ways that matter.

Onward.