Friday, June 09, 2017

Russiagate: A Lesson in Doing the Right Thing

A supporter of President Trump suggested that Comey should have contacted the authorities as soon as he felt that Trump was asking him to do something illegal.

I thought that was an interesting comment because most of us by a certain age have been apart of a discussion or event where we pondered our right action and asked ourselves, Does this issue or do these words go beyond what is just, fair, and legal?

When met with issues like this, issues on a minuscule scale in comparison, I have also written down the facts, reflected on the events, sought counsel, and wondered about next steps. I generally ask the question, At the end of my life, what decision will I be satisfied with--what decision will I be glad that I made.

Of course, I have honored Comey's work since I saw him on 60 Minutes so long ago. I found his words compelling and work respectful and truthful. When he spoke out about Clinton though, I had second thoughts--why would he speak out? In the end, I felt that he wanted to make sure he was honest to his role and what he knew, and hoped there wasn't another reason for speaking out. Later when he began to speak out about #russiagate, I felt that he was, as I originally thought, an honest, good man trying to do what was right and good to the best of his ability.

Now we see him speaking under oath as a private citizen with confidence, clarity, and conviction--retelling events that occurred to him and his reflections about those events. And we hear our President tell us through his tweets that Comey is not telling the truth.

This makes me think about what is right. This makes me wonder who is doing the right thing and how can we know that?

In all of our lives, it's best to do the right thing from the start beginning with the small decisions we make everyday. Working with others to chart the path is always helpful, and consulting issues with detailed analysis as well as big picture review is critical too.

Also, as Trump supporters suggest, it's best to reach out and speak out sooner than later when issues of conflict and worry occur. Yet, as Comey did, it's also wise to take the time you need to review the whole situation, recognize its value in view of the bigger picture, keep notes, and speak out when the time is right and greater clarity occurs.

In my own life, there have been numerous issues that I've kept substantial notes on. Issues that I haven't spoken up about because the notes, like puzzle pieces, have not created a clear picture of injustice or misdirection, but instead represent a half-puzzle where it's unclear if intentions are negative or if the issues are just circumstantial and not ill intended.

What will happen with #russiagate?

What lessons will we cull from these events in history?

Who will ultimately rise to the top of this situation in terms of honor, respect, and doing the right thing, and who will fall as the one(s) who is self-serving, dishonest, unjust, and uncaring about our democracy and country? Will there be a middle ground?

Time will tell, and in the meantime, as educators, parents, and citizens, we can heed the message that it's best to stay on course with truth, justice, and doing the right thing with issues big and small as we move forward in life.

Also, I'm happy that we have many Americans well-schooled in the law, our democracy, and political discourse/events to lead the way with regard to the #russiagate investigation and efforts.