Thursday, June 08, 2017

Navigating the Tiny Troubles

It's often the tiny troubles that upset me, not the big unpredictable troubles. The big, unpredictable troubles are out of my hands--it's only up to me to react and respond when those events occur. I'm not responsible for those events. But with regard to the tiny troubles, I own those--I am apart of those decisions, efforts, and speak so when troubles occur, I am responsible in part.

Lots of tiny troubles arise at the end of the school year when many people are rushing to wrap-up plans, budgets, reports, and more. It can be a stressful time of the year, yet all of these events on the scale of life are small, tiny, and mostly insignificant.

So what's a teacher to do?

First of all see the issues for what they are--very small issues on the scale of good teaching and learning.

Next, do what you can to mitigate the problems, or if need be, ignore the issues until there is more time to give the issues the time and thought they deserve.

Mostly good lead time prevents this kind of last minute hassle, but that's not always in place--so it's a bit of staccato, like hopping on hot coals, that occurs. I can do this.