Wednesday, June 07, 2017

Is That True?

Recently I heard someone speak for me, and what they said was not true. It wasn't that big of a deal, but the person relayed what they thought I felt about a situation which was actually quite the opposite of how I truly feel. This was at a public forum leaving everyone to believe something that is actually not true. Will I speak up? I'm not sure as this isn't the first time the person has spoken for me and others without consult--it's a pattern I'll have to think about, but a pattern that affects how teachers are treated.

Next, I heard what seemed like a preposterous report about teachers' opinions. I asked if that had been written down or was there any proof of that claim. There was no written documentation. I actually think the claim is false. Should I investigate more? Does it matter? I actually think it does matter and will work with a related team to see how we can steer clear of hearsay, conjecture, and untruths by getting statements in writing instead. The comment made was slanderous towards a colleague who I don't know well, and perhaps it's true, but I can't know without proof.

Our President seems to tweet untruths at times too? This is a focus of national discussion and debate.

We all have to steer clear of exaggeration and untruths. It's best to be clear and truthful at all times--it helps all processes. It's also important not to entertain hearsay and conjecture as that is often untrue. I want to be cognizant of this as I move forward with my professional and personal efforts as I respect this kind of work.