Sunday, May 21, 2017

Picking Yourself Up After a Blow

I came home happy after an Sunday afternoon of shopping partly for props and costumes for a special student-teacher school event only to receive a one-two punch in the gut via unwelcome words related to teaching.

It's difficult enough to keep the good energy high in order to teach a large group of young children, and that energy has to be even higher for special events that require money from your own pocket and lots of extra time--yet there's little regard for any of that as when it comes to ratings, what matters most is obedience and silence.

I'm obedient, but I'm also outspoken which is not welcome by many who administrate me.

What's a teacher to do?

This is so discouraging.

Those who administer the one-two verbal or silent-treatment punches again and again forget what it's like to be a classroom teacher. They forget what a bit of encouragement and enthusiasm does to help energize an educator. They forget that when teachers are feeling valued and energized, those good feelings are transferred to their students. They forget that teachers who are invested do care and do speak up when it comes to serving their children well.

If you read my blog, you know this isn't the first blow I've received. I get "punched" a lot in this profession of teaching with put-downs, lack of support, silence, and more. It's not easy.

But when I'm with the children teaching and learning, it's all good. I love what I do.

Yet, when these extraneous events occur, events far removed from the day-to-day work and investment I make, it's wholly discouraging and demeaning--the kind of pain that keeps you up too late at night.