Sunday, May 14, 2017

In Politics and Education Disagree with Respect

Typically I really enjoy Saturday Night Live, but last night I felt the show, overall, missed the mark. Humor is challenging, and I know that no comedian always hits the mark all the time; it's difficult to find that sweet spot particularly with political humor.

At the end of the show, I was a bit discouraged because while the show, in my opinion, didn't hit the mark last night, they did deal with a lot of really sensitive and troubling issues that are happening right now in our country--issues of divide and questionable legality and ethics. Issues that I am concerned about as a citizen of the United States.

I think the humor has to continue since it bring levity and some understanding to the issues of our times. I believe that when it doesn't hit the mark, it's best just to ignore it, and get a good laugh and perhaps some insight when it does hit the mark.

In general, however, when it comes to our day-to-day discourse it's imperative that we disagree with respect. Disrespect confounds serious issues and takes people away from the problems and opportunities at hand. To disagree with respect brings us closer to solution.

It's not always easy to disagree with respect because it is inevitable that emotions become part of the equation especially if the disagreement affects issues that affect one's personal life and beliefs. For example I can't forgive Donald Trump for all his disrespectful body and women talk--he demeaned us so much by making fun of people's bodies and gender. This brought people down and elevated old time stereotypes and prejudices. These comments made me emotional and make me emotional to this day as I believe that every person has a right to be who they are no matter their gender or body type, and I believe that every person has a right to live without prejudice or ridicule with regard to gender, body type, race, culture, class and so on.

Good humor brings issues like that to light, and respectful discourse creates a path to positive change.

So as I move ahead I'll look for ways to disagree with respect. I'll still look to the funnymen and funny women to make me laugh and to bring forth political satire to help us understand issues too.

But I won't support the disrespectful discussion that's so prevalent on social media threads and in the news that take us away from the serious problems that exist. Onward.