I'd like to develop our use of this terrific tool for even better use in the future. How might we do this?
- Match the initial portfolio creation with our introduction to each subject and the program overall in the fall.
- Include the identity project that many students really enjoyed at the start of the year as a community building project.
- Take more time for initial reflections at the start of the year to help students learn the many ways that they can reflect on their learning.
- Make a bulletin board in each subject area to collect and post student work in a timely way that's easy to transfer later to the all-subject portfolios.
- Invite specialists teachers to include reflections and images of work completed in their classes in the portfolio.
- Have complimentary online portfolios using Google sites or another online program to host digital projects.
I want to think more about this part of our program, a part that builds wonderful and helpful metacognitive skills in our fifth graders.