Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Reaction to President Trump's Joint Session Speech: February 2017

I agreed with many of the words.

I was happy that the speech was not filled with hateful words and demeaning comments.

The low point of the speech was when he spent considerable time talking about his new effort, V.O.I.C.E, to support victims of immigrant crime. This emphasis incites prejudice against immigrants, instead he should have focused this idea on victims of crime, not crime that is specific to one big group of people--people who statistics demonstrate to be peaceful overall.

He spoke out against fighting hate against other Americans which of course I agree with. He spoke out about building up our infrastructure, supporting veterans, providing paid leave for women to care for children, and job creation. I agree with all of this.

I will continue to read as much as I can about what is happening.

I will continue to advocate for an independent investigation of Russia's influence on the election.

I will continue to advocate and work for strong public schools as the foundation of our democracy and an avenue to educating all America's children.

I will work for truth with positivity and will work against negativity and disrespect.

His speak about laws is essential. We should follow the laws we have, and we should change the laws we disagree with. I agree that we need to change immigration laws starting with protecting immigrants and their families who live in the United States.

We live in a complex world. We have a big country. There is much to consider. We have to be watchful, active, well-read, and willing to debate and compromise.

Onward.