Sunday, February 19, 2017

Project Based Learning: The Master Plan

This spring I'll embark on a big project which is to create a master plan for my home.

My simple home sits on a piece of land that abuts wetlands. We are facing issues of erosion, encroaching non-native plants, and needs for household updates.

I'll take what I learned from my days at the multi-disciplinary design firm I worked at many years ago and create a master plan.

The plan will include the following plans and efforts:

  • Using plants to decrease erosion
  • Getting rid of unnecessary objects, materials to make more space
  • Mending, fixing, filling, and supporting areas of the home that are getting worn or outdated
  • Increasing efforts to green our home and lifestyle
I love a big project like this, and will use what I learn to boost my school STEAM teaching efforts as well.

If you have information related to solving erosion issues with planting and boosting greening efforts, let me know. In the meantime, I've got some research and design to do.